Photo by: Umberto Paganini Paganelli
Rocca Calascio was in itially built as a watchtower in the 10th century or earlier, the fortress developed in size and complexity over a period of time, particularly in the 14th century under Leonello de Acclozemora, and subsequently the Medici family in the late 16th century.
Studies have shown that it would only ever have been designed, unusually, to accommodate a military garrison, rather than proffering shelter and protection to the local civilian population (perhaps partly explaining why it was one of the first sites of Peasant Revolt in 784!).
An earthquake badly damaged the fort in 1703, after which it was left in its ruined state as it no longer served any strategic purpose.
S. Maria della Pietà – Rocca Calascio, Italy by Eva0707